This can hardly be called a recipe because it is so simple, but for a while I couldn’t get the right crisp to homemade sweet potato fries without burning them. I finally did! So here it is.
I looked at the ingredients of a popular processed frozen sweet potato fry maker and was horrified at the number of ingredients that it contained. You would think it would contain sweet potatoes, but I’m not even sure if they were real potatoes, plus the taste just wasn’t the same as homemade. Here is a list of the popular Alexia brand sweet potato fries
INGREDIENTS: SWEET POTATOES, CANOLA
OIL, RICE FLOUR, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL
CANE SUGAR, CORNSTARCH, TAPIOCA
DEXTRIN, SEA SALT, SPICES, ONION POWDER,
SUGAR, CHILI PEPPER POWDER, GARLIC
POWDER, SALAD MUSTARD (DISTILLED
VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, SALT, TURMERIC,
PAPRIKA), CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM.
So, a little extra chopping is welcomed when you see that and then taste how good these homemade fries are.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- salt, garlic powder, fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
- 1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut sweet potatoes into thin wedges, I leave the skin on.
- 2. Toss in a bowl with melted coconut oil and sprinkle on spices.
- 3. Pour sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and move around to get some of the coconut oil on the pan so they don’t stick.
- 4. Spread out the sweet potatoes, trying not to overlap.
- 5. Cook for 25 minutes and enjoy your perfectly crisp sweet potato fries! This serves 2-3 people.