Hello blogging world! A lot has happened since we met last. A year and a half has passed, I now have TWO precious girls, now 3 1/2 and 20 months. My husband has a new job, we have our house on the market and will be in the midst of a move very soon. Life – crazy, fun and unpredictable.
As all you other mamas know, life gets hectic and I feel like my head is now above water. So, in the midst of all these changes I also became a consultant for Beautycounter, ya know, just to see how much we could squeeze in during one crazy month. And let me tell you how much I LOVE this company. Well, the post is really all about that because I want to tell everyone I know about this amazing company and their important mission.
If you’ve been around the blog in the past, you know that along with trying to eat as clean as possible, I also took care to what I was putting ON my body. I’ve posted recipes for Deodorant, Diaper Cream, Lotion and chapstick. I looked into many many more, but became very overwhelmed at the thought of prepping, cooking and cleaning up food and dishes three times a day AND making all of our own skincare, body care and cosmetics. Enter Beautycounter. Hallelujah! One company that I can trust that is leading the charge, the counter revolution, in safety, truth and transparency in the beauty industry.
What is Beautycounter? Beautycounter is a 100% safe and effective skincare, body care and cosmetics line. They are a socially mission based company out of Santa Monica, CA with the mission of getting safe products into the hands of everyone. Our founder, Gregg Renfrew, is a die hard entrepreneur, mom of 3 and lover of all things natural and safe. She saw a business opportunity and a need for safe products in the beauty industry and wanted to share that with as many people as possible. And people want to know!
Did you know?
- Your skin is your largest organ and it takes only 26 seconds for something you put on your skin to absorb into your bloodstream.
- There has not been a law regulating the beauty industry since 1938 – WWII!!
- 80% of the ingredients used in beauty products are not tested for safety.
- In the past 40 years, the rise of breast cancer has more than doubled.
- The EU bans over 1,400 ingredients in their beauty products. The U.S. bans only 11!
Beautycounter wants to change this by not only offering a line of safe, chic, beautiful products, but also by changing laws in Washington to regulate this industry and get safer ingredients into our products. Every ingredient that is put into these products is tested and researched for environmental safety and human health safety. The thing I love about Beautycounter is the Truth and Transparency from start to finish. There are loopholes that even companies claiming “natural”, “safe” and “organic” can get through. For instance, “Fragrance” can come with a whole host of unknowns and undisclosed ingredients. From an article published by Branch Basics entitled, ” Fragrance is the New Secondhand smoke“, author Madeleine Hawks says,
Fragrance or parfum on an ingredient list actually represents a trade secret fragrance recipe that could be made up of not just one or two chemicals, but hundreds of synthetic chemicals selected from a reservoir of 5,000 that do not have to be disclosed or tested for safety.
Beautycounter is in a league of it’s own by creating a “Never List“, a growing list of over 1,500 ingredients that are linked to environmental and/or human health issues, that will never be used in their products.
So, now that you know what Beautycounter is, why I joined as a consultant and the environmental and human health impacts, let’s talk products!
These products are safe, but do they really perform? Yes, yes, and yes! I like to say that Beautycounter is crunchy granola meets fashion runway. The head of Creative Design Christy Coleman, is a fashion and celebrity make-up artist to such stars as Connie Britton, Alessandra Ambrosio and Jessica Alba, so it’s important for her day job that these products perform!
Here are some of my favorite Products and why.
The Countertime Collection. The Whole thing. I love it! I have noticed a visible change just in the past month and a half of decreased fine lines and most pronounced, a more even, glowing skin tone. If I had to pick just ONE product out of this line, it would be the Nourishing Cleansing Balm. It comes with a host of benefits. Here are a few reasons why people go crazy over this product:
• Gently removes cradle cap, relieves red raw hands/knuckles, relieves chapped cheeks and said it helps razor burn too.
• Soothed and healed my dry & cracked hands. Also…I am allergic to metal and sometimes develop a rash–it soothes and heals it so quick!
• Ditto that it immediately helped my daughter’s red, dry, winter-weather-caused burning hands.
• Used it on a really bad diaper rash for my daughter when nothing else worked with success. It has also helped with my mother’s psoriasis.
• Tames frizz in humidity. Conditions dry hair -use on ends and also great scalp mask to keep away dandruff in winter
• when you’re tired at night and want to quickly remove makeup you can easily wipe it off w. this and hydrate your skin at the same time
• My son had a nasty chaffing rash between his thighs and it worked like a miracle
• I get a patch of dermatitis on my hand that I could not get under control I was prescribed a steroid that does clear it up. So does the balm! Chapped sore, raw knuckles on my 8 year old son, gone over night!
• Great for sunburns
Basically, YOU NEED THIS ;)!
Dew Skin. This light-weight coverage is great for summer because is has SPF 20, so you never have to worry about getting too much sun on your face. I love this since I’m outside all the time with my girls. I wear No.2.
Tint Skin. This is Beautycounter’s foundation. More coverage with a moisturizer as well. It goes on seemlessly and blends to cover and even skin tone. There are two ways to apply it. (1) with the Retractable complexion coverage brush for a sheer, no makeup look. (2) with a flat complexion brush for medium coverage. I wear Linen.
Color Pinch Cream Blusher. This great two-in-one product brightens cheeks with a natural, dewy color. It can also be used on your lips! Comes in three different shades: hibiscus, umber and caramel.
And don’t forget the bag to put all your amazing products in. I love Beautycounter’s branding and this bag is just perfect!
If you want to know more about Beautycounter and these safe and effective products, you can find me at www.beautycounter.com/hannahhensley.