I’ve made many crustless quiches and frittatas, but none as hearty and tasty as this. If you are looking for a breakfast to fuel you for your busy morning, a brunch, or an easy dinner, you’ve got to try this. This frittata is packed with protein, good carbs, and nutritious leafy greens to get your day going and fill you up. My 15 month old daughter loved this too!
- 1 pound sausage, cooked (I used mild sausage from our local farm)
- 1 bunch swiss chard, washed, stems removed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced OR I used 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, cut into small 1-inch pieces
- 8-10 eggs
- fresh grated cheese (optional – I did not use any and it was great!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the sausage thoroughly in a large skillet. Once cooked, remove and set aside in a large bowl. Leave any remaining fat in the pan for use in cooking the sweet potato and swiss chard (I added about a tablespoon more of coconut oil). Place sweet potatoes in the pan and cook for about 5-10 minutes until potatoes are almost done, then add swiss chard. Don’t worry about overcrowding the pan, the swiss chard will cook down quickly (3-4 minutes).
2. Once sweet potatoes and swiss chard are cooked, add the garlic clove if using and saute another 1 minute.
3. Let cool for about 10 minutes and pour into bowl with sausage and mix well. Add in 8-10 beaten eggs, salt & pepper and stir. I ended up using 10 eggs and it filled my pie pan to the tip top.
4. Pour into a pie pan or other oven proof container and cook for 30-45 minutes, depending on container and oven. I used a pie pan and it took about 40 minutes.
This is great by itself for a hearty, quick breakfast OR add almond banana pancakes for a healthy brunch or dinner. Enjoy!