Who doesn’t love trail mix? Especially one with coconut, dried cherries, and yes, even chocolate. Craig went hiking/camping this past weekend and needed something to give him some energy but he didn’t want to sacrifice his primal eating, especially being about as primal as you can get – in the woods. I got the idea of pouring coconut oil over the trail mix from Mark Sisson at Mark’s Daily Apple and decided to give it my own spin with the ingredients we had.
Coconut oil and coconut products, as you have already noticed from previous posts, are a great source of good fats. Especially when you are expending a lot of energy like hiking, you need to refuel your body with good fats and proteins. This trail mix gives you the necessary fuel with a little sweetness that will keep you satisfied all day long. Whether you are hiking or just need a little handful between meals, this is great to have on hand.
If you are outside and take this snack along, you will want to make sure it is in a properly sealed bag as heat from your body or the outside air will melt the coconut oil. We all love coconut oil, but we don’t love it getting everywhere. Craig put it in double zip top bags. The temperature when he was camping was cool enough to keep the coconut oil hard throughout the night and most of the day, but just be aware that if temperatures are hot the oil will melt.
- raw walnuts
- raw almonds
- dried cherries
- mini dark chocolate chips
- finely shredded coconut
- a couple tablespoons coconut oil (just enough to thoroughly coat the ingredients)
How to make it
- Mix walnuts, almonds, dried cherries, and chocolate chips together. Depending on how much of each ingredient you want in your trail mix, start mixing – there is no exact formula here.
- Melt your coconut oil in the microwave. 10-15 seconds should probably do the trick; you don’t want it too hot or the chocolate chips will start to melt when you pour it over the top.
- Pour the melted coconut oil over your mixture and sprinkle with shredded coconut and stir together until oil and shredded coconut is covering mixture.
- Place in a hard plastic or glass bowl and place in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes to let the coconut oil harden completely.
- Once the coconut oil is completely hardened take it out of the fridge and break it up with a knife and place in your zip top bag. Now you are ready to hit the trail!
What’s your favorite primal trail mix?